Friday, June 16, 2006

Viruses and VBS

Life has a funny way of slowing you down at times. I have been fast and furiously working on VBS stuff; remind me again why I agreed to help coordinate this?!? Benjamin has been nothing but sweet and patient this whole time. However, Tuesday night up at church, Hollye and I both noticed how warm the little guy felt.
After getting him home, I realized his temperature was over 102-- yikes! We put him to bed loaded up on Motrin and kisses and hoped he would be better in the morning. When he woke, his fever was around 99, which relieved me. However, an hour later it had spiked to over 102 again. When we got to his doctor in Lubbock, he had reached 103.5 and was visibly miserable-- I felt so bad for him. We have never seen Benjamin quite like this. Granted, we've had the occasional earache and cold, but this was definitely different.
What was more concerning was that they couldn't find anything wrong with him at his appointment, so they sent him down to the lab for blood work (horrible experience) and other tests. The strep test came back negative and we had to sit on the blood work until the morning when we were told that the only conclusion was viral. And, as we all know, we just have to "let it run its course--" which is what we are doing.
The last couple of days have been a little rough, but today we can definitely see our little guy coming back! He slept all night and has eaten fairly well today.
Although VBS has taken a back seat, I have come to the conclusion that it's time to learn to just roll with the punches. Everything will work itself out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad Benjamin is on the rebound. Ah the joys of parenthood. I wouldn't know... I do know, however, the joys of puppy parenthood. :)