Monday, July 12, 2010

Week 3: Kids' Summer Bible Lesson & Cowboy Muffins


We'll have to pay rewind a bit to catch up on our Bible lessons this summer. We did miss a couple of weeks while we were out of town and daddy was home for a few days.

Week 3 was over the lesson plan generosity. Here is the link if you are interested in these lessons. It was a great lesson for the boys, and they are rockin' the memory verses! Jonathan gets so excited when I write a new verse on his easel. We did the story of Dorcas and our memory verse was 2 Corinthians 9:7

Our craft was a gift for our grandpas for Father's Day (I am that behind on posting). I used the idea from here. I modified it a bit and used phrases like "we love grandpa" and "grandpa is the best". The supplies were:
-- wrapped canvas (can be found in artist section at Hob Lob...just use a 40% coupon to get them cheap!)
-- Letter stickers or use a Cricut to cut out vinyl ones (I want a Cricut like nobody's business...if you see my husband, let him know that would make a great gift for his wife). ; )
-- Acrylic paint and sponge brushes.

Simply spell out your message with your letters on your canvas. Paint. Let dry. Peel off letters to reveal message. This could be modified a thousand ways for different gifts or even wall art for kids' rooms.

The boys LOVED it!



Peeling the stickers (we did it when wet....probably should have waited until they dried).

For our Muffin Monday that week, we made Cowboy Muffins! I love these so much...they were a recipe from our friend, Hollye. She said her son, Cade, always requested them for sleepovers when he was growing up...I am quite sure my boys will, too! They LOVE them. They are best served HOT out of the oven. We shared these with two sweet friends from church.

Jonathan was my big helper for the Cowboy Muffins. He has really enjoyed baking and cooking with me lately. He wants to be a part of everything kitchen related! Having two boys, I have a few big goals (domestically speaking) that I really want the boys to take on with them after they are big grown guys. I want them to know how to do laundry, including ironing an outfit. I want them to be able to prepare well-rounded meals that don't come out of a box (or a drive-through). I want them to know how to bake. And they must know how to properly clean the bathroom. I am not saying I want them to do these things all the time (except the bathroom thing...that's a no-brainer). I just want them to know how to do these things. They may be bachelors for a bit and I want them to know how to take care of themselves.

My boys love the Cowboy Muffin concept (and who wouldn't)...the whole dip in butter, drop in sugar certainly makes a good muffin. And I am just kicking myself that I didn't get a photo of the finished product. You'll just have to bake some for yourself! ; )

COWBOY MUFFINS

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
--
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 tbsp. butter, melted

In mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup sugar, shortening and egg. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to the creamed mixture, beating well. Fill 12 greased muffin cups 2/3 full (don't use paper liners). Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon. Remove muffins from oven and immediately dip in melted butter, then in sugar mixture. Serve immediately.

This is the muffin dunk set up. Mmmmm!

Happy Monday!


No comments: