Wednesday, April 01, 2009














Mmmmm.....this is my new favorite by far. We made this last week one night and I am still thinking about it. Actually, that's sort of sad, huh? But, seriously. It. Was. Delicious. We have a little joke-sie around El Rancho that we refer to as "restaurant quality"....meaning a dish that is so unbelievable it could have come from our favorite restaurant. (And to give credit where credit is due, we borrowed this cheesey line from Sarah Jessica Parker in The First Wives Club).
So, I present to you, dear "losers": one awesome, restaurant quality recipe!

Green Chile-Chicken Casserole
(from the All-New Complete Cooking Light Cookbook)




1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 (10.5 oz.) cans condensed 98%-fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
cooking spray
24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 cups (8 oz.) finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

To start, I have to share the best garlic trick, ever! Actually, most of you probably already know this, I have just been behind on the garlic tricks, mainly because I was stuck in the land of pre-mined, jarred garlic. I won't ever buy it again! My friend, Jennifer, who has some awesome chef skills that we all like to oooo and ahhhh over, taught me a great trick to use with something that I had in my drawer-- my garlic press. I had used it before, but it seemed like a lot of work....pull garlic clove off the head, pop & peel garlic, chop off ends and then insert into press. Jennifer told me to just stick the whole clove (skin & all) into the press.


Then just squeeze.

And voila! The skin remains in the press after the garlic is already in the pan! Throw away your jar of pre-minced stuff for good!



1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stir with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
3. Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over soup mixture, and top with 1 cup cooked chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers 3 times, ending with cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup).

POINTS value: 7 points per serving.

Weight Watching TIP OF THE WEEK:
This tip was told to me by our super talented photo-taking friend, Melissa. If you are a planner, especially when it comes to your family's meals, you will love emealz! And they have a POINTS friendly option for Wal-mart shoppers! You may have heard of emealz if you're a Dave Ramsey fan. I have gotten several new recipes from my emealz membership and love their format. They help you plan out a week's worth of meals that are not so spendy at all! You'll save time and money and the meals are really tasty. I do add in lunch stuff, breakfasts, and snacks, so that adds a bit to the budget. But, other than that...what a great idea! And, the plan I chose is for a family of 6...so usually we have leftovers for lunch the next day.

4 comments:

David Dominguez said...

This is a GREAT dish!

Love you!

J Stolle said...

Wow - that looks so good and tempting ... I am hungry already. I copied the recipe and sent it to my sisters and the rest of the cousins so maybe we can all start on the slim down side of life.
Thanks for sharing, love to all of you.

Melissa said...

This sounds so yummy--I want to cook it NOW! Thanks for the great recipes you've been posting every week!!!

Amanda said...

Oh yay! I can't wait to try it! That is, after I finish 5 days of working consignment sales ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!