Sunday, October 05, 2008

Our Funny Four-Year-Old

Benjamin's little one-liners sometimes amaze us. And sometimes the conversations we have leave us raising our eyebrows looking at one another thinking..."where does he get this stuff?"
This morning he cracked us up when we got home from church. David told him "thanks for being such a good boy at church" he paused and continued with..."and at Bible class."
Benjamin looks at him and says, "I don't know about that one."
I guess I'll be checking with Miss Mary to see how Bible class went!
We were eating lunch a bit later and Benjamin was working on scooting his chair up to the table. He kept going up and down while he was trying to scoot, and he chuckled and said sort of quietly..."hydraulics".
David and I looked at each other and asked for clarification.
He indeed meant what he said.
When I asked him what hydraulics were, he said quite matter-of factly, "they make the car go up and down."
David asked where he learned that.
"At preschool" was his response.
I want to just clarify right now that our preschool is not teaching four-year-olds "Mechanics 101" on the side. He did not learn that at preschool. He actually learned it from the Tag reader using his Cars book. The book explains that the car Ramone has hydraulics.
For a brief moment, however, we both wondered if his class was just super advanced!

Here is one of the songs he has learned at preschool...



He's one great kiddo.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Seriously, hydraulics? He's one smart cookie! Isn't it amazing the things they pick up on? And his donkey song is so cute!

Beth said...

That is priceless. I don't think I could have come up with as good a definition for hydraulics if you would have asked me. He is so smart. And sorry about the chocolate covered Jonathan; I take full responsibility for that. :)

Melissa said...

Hydraulics--that's too funny! And I like the song; it's just too adorable! What a smartie!

Rebecca said...

Hydraulics? I love what kids pick up on. That is why we have to be so careful about what we say in front of them. I'm glad that he knows the donkey song. That's one three year old down, only 29 more to go!

Happy Mama said...

Super story- that kid is so smart! Sounds like you have been good and busy- hope you are all well! I have relatives who know you from church- we hadn't seen them in a long time and it was so funny that they are in your small group! I don't know if they told you, but it was a hoot- take care- love your halloween blog face! Love ya-

Courtney said...

That is great!! By the way you just have the cutest blog!! Hope all is well!

Amy said...

Too funny!

Becky said...

I love the honesty in their responses...Cade is at the same honesty stage...let's pray that lasts a LOOOOOOONG time :)

Cade talks to himself a lot too, just funny little things from cartoons, movies and such, I laughed out loud at the hydraulics demo in his chair! So nice we can record these moments forever :)
Hugs Kristi