Monday, July 30, 2007

Rubberband Wrists



Recently I was chatting with my mother-in-law about chubby babies. She told me about a friend she had that said her baby was so chubby that it looked like she had rubber bands around her wrists. I thought that was pretty funny.

It occurred to me today that my baby, too, has this same phenomenon. Not only is it his wrists, his ankles are clearly becoming his "problem area." Not to mention that crazy cellulite thing he now has going on. It is cute, I'll admit-- but only when worded properly. For instance, we were in the grocery store and one lady said to Jonathan, "Wow-- what a fatty!" Clearly, this can not be a compliment. A fatty? Was she serious? It's not like he's hanging out at the all-you-can-eat buffet. He pretty much has the perfect diet-- fruits, vegetables, single grain cereal, and well I guess the formula couldn't be helping his situation.

I did have another lady today come up to us at Wal-mart.
"What a cute little chubby baby!" Much more appropriate. Chubby is way less offensive than fatty. Fatty? You may as well label him for life. But chubby I can handle.

More so than that, I love it when people say "What a healthy little boy!" This is almost a compliment to his mommy. They may as well have said: "Give this gal a gold medal. She knows the proper nutrition for a baby. Well done." That's how I take that comment. Silly, yes. But, it never hurts to have a little pat on your back for your parenting skills.

1 comment:

Arly said...

I just want to say right here... That I was a very chunky baby. I wasn't just chubby. I was chunky.

And for the record, that lady in the store doesn't know what she's talking about. Babies are supposed to have a little extra skin like that. That's why it's called BABY Fat.