Friday, December 28, 2007

Holiday Recap: 12-23-07: Pawlik Christmas

Since my parents have moved to Marble Falls, we no longer do the traditional Christmas Eve party with them that we have done as long as I can remember. I miss those Christmas Eves a little bit. They were my favorite day of the year as I grew up. They are still just as fun, now to be celebrated "the Sunday before Christmas no matter what."
My mother prepares for this day starting the Friday after Thanksgiving. She hits the stores for that crazy 5 a.m. rush and begs me to join her every year, (um, no thank you, my bed is still calling me at that time). I can recall a post-Thanksgiving sale when I was eight years old and was dragged through Kmart at six a.m. to get the brand new Dirt Devil for a steal of a deal with the matching hand-held vac for a penny! I am still reeling from that experience.
Anywho. Mom makes what we all refer to as "her spread." It includes my nieces' favorite tamales, Spanish rice, beans and Mexican pasta salad. Then there is all of the "grazing items" which include sandwich fixings, lots of dips, chips, queso and all of the baked goodies.
When I was young we all swapped presents with everyone and it was a mad wrapping paper fiasco. These days we have limited the gift-giving to those under eighteen. Except of course, we all get gifts for my parents and vice versa.
It is funny to watch your family "age." This year, my niece Amber brought her fiance, Paul, to whom she recently got engaged. And of course, five years ago, I brought David to this for the first time. Our other niece, Andrea, now has an 18-month old (yes, I am a great Aunt). Kayla and Keaton are growing like weeds. And I always am amazed and in awe at what Amanda is up to in her career (she just bought her first house, way to go, girlie!). Our nephew Aaron lives in Florida with his family (again, I am a great Aunt),we just got their family card and it was precious!
I guess there is nothing we can do about it, I just still feel like I am "the baby" even though my kids are now the babies. I feel like breaking into a medley of "Obla-Di Obla-Da."

No comments: