Friday, August 31, 2007

A Tribute to Classic Country Music

Okay, Mom-- this one is lengthy so you can skip it if you like! But, I know you won't!

I have fallen in love with this great radio station out of Waco that plays the absolute BEST lunch hour songs-- all classic country. I belt out almost every song they play. They each take me back somewhere, to some fond memory.
I was raised on country music (Country & Western as my parents still call it.) I didn't apreciate it until I was a teenager and then realized what a great thing it was. Classic country music gives me that all-American twangy beat that somehow always brings me back to a sweet place in my mind. If you like this stuff, you know what I mean. If not, you're probably rolling your eyes about now.

Anywho. Thought I would tell you about my faves. Each one means something special and most remind me of someone special. Seriously, this could have gotten ridiculously long, but I capped it at 10.

10. You Decorated My Life, Kenny Rogers

My parents took me to a Kenny Rogers concert when I was very little. I was hooked from the get go. A friend once told me about her friend dancing with her dad at her wedding to this song. Had we done that, this would have been our song, Dad.

9. Thank God I'm a Country Boy, John Denver
I fondly remember giggling hysterically to this song as a child.

8. I’d do it all over again, Crystal Gayle
I had to have my obligatory Crystal Gayle song. I had this on a tape for years until it finally wore out. When I was little, I wanted to have hair that long. What was I thinking?

7. Fishin' in the Dark, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
I think I just like the name Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, makes me think of some very unkempt fellows singing a tune. Seriously, this song is great. I LOVE the start of the song with just the guitar. And of course, they say the word "crik" instead of creek, can you get any more country? This one's for you, Misty: I can still do our dance moves-- got your invisible fishing pole handy?

6. Jambalaya (On th Bayou), Hank Williams, Sr.
Ever seen Steel Magnolias? Then you know the tune. Great song. One of my dad's all time favorite singers is Hank Williams, Sr.

5. San Antonio Rose, Bob Wills
This one reminds me of my parents. They are both native SAers, and back in their day they sure knew how to scoot across a dance floor. I can remember dancing with my dad when I was about five years old to this song at a wedding reception. Almost makes me cry thinking about it.

4. Louisianna Woman, Mississippi (crooked letter, crooked letter I...) Man, Loretta Lynn & Conway Twitty
A great song to belt out in the car. David and I really crank this one out. Once he sees that I wrote that, this may get edited.

3. Danny's Song, Anne Murray
Oh, David...how you put up with me crooning to this one! And I always think about you when I do. Kenny Loggins has his version, but nobody does it better than Anne.

2. Islands in the Stream, Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers
Amber & Betsey: Did you think I could leave this one off? I won't ever do karaoke to this song without thinking of the A-Team. This song is obviously the ultimate country duet-- a hip-swinging, thigh-slappin' kind of tune to pull me off of Amber & Frank's couch to completely embarass myself in front of my fellow co-workers. But, it sure was fun!

1. Queen of Hearts, Juice Newton
Who doesn't love a good Juice Newton song? I know my best friend Lori Callaway can just clap her hands thinking about this one. We listened to this song almost everyday our freshman year at ACU. Roadtrip? We were two clapping and crooning gals zipping down I-20 for fun weekends. This one's in the ipod. Midnight,and I'm a-waiting on the twelve-oh-five, hoping it'll take me just a little farther down the line...

No comments: